Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Spring has sprung.

We had a warm winter but then a very cold, wet spring. Here it is almost May and it's in the mid-60s today. This is not Oklahoma weather. I like it better than the 80+ degree Aprils we've had other years, though.


The iris obligingly waited until the freezing rain was done with before blooming.

"Oh, you're taking pictures? Where should we stand?"



I planted these roses just two years ago. I'm especially impressed by the enormous Zephirine Drouhin, which was a tiny stick when I got it in the mail from the wonderful Uncommon Rose. It's holding its own against the honeysuckle and is, in fact, on a mission to take over the world. I need to tie it back so the tea roses can breathe.

Here's a closeup of a blossom. They smell great but don't seem to last well inside, even if I put them in the fridge at night.

I can't remember the name of this tea rose off hand. Beautiful smell, holds up well as a cut flower, but fades to a peachy color that is not nearly as pretty as this.

My other tea rose, can't remember its name offhand either. It's lucky I don't have a lot of sunny garden space or I could get a little carried away with roses.

Look! Pea plants! Lettuces! Rabbit fencing! George and Charlotte helped with the planting; George helped with the fence.

Last weekend Dean built the play enclosure we've been talking about for a couple of years -- despite having plenty of help! Now I just need to get it filled with wood chips.


My enjoyment of the yard and weather has been a little less strenuous.

No comments: