Monday, April 24, 2006

A little excitement

Monday evening I went out to water the plants on the back porch. One felt dry, so I watered it -- and then thought, "That felt strange." I took the planter down and looked into it to see a bird's nest -- I had stuck my hand right into it! I had only bought the plant on Saturday, two days before. I was really surprised that a bird had found it and built a nest so quickly.

It held water really well. Wouldn't you think it would be healthier for the chicks if water drained right out?

We saw a little bit of activity at the nest during the week. It turned out to be a robin's nest, and the bird would add something to the nest, then spend several minutes pushing it into place with her chest, turning and pushing, turning and pushing.

(Crummy picture taken through the window so as not to startle her.)

Sunday morning we were excited to find an egg in the nest. Unfortunately, the nest is right next to our back door, and the bird was frightened away by our activity.


Can you see the edges of the pot? The nest almost fills it.

I thought all was over, but this morning she was back, and now there are two eggs in the nest! I'm hoping she can get used to us and we can watch the babies grow right from our breakfast table.

No comments: